PDA

View Full Version : 1pc flat black vinyl roof

BOS/SRT
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
i just finished changing the 3 pc flat black vinyl to a 1 pc. this time i did it with the installer and i think it came out perfect.
i only ran the rally stripes on the hood and not the rear, because i figured my 3 pc spoiler would break it up.
the pictures dont do it justice, it looks killer in person.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/BosChargerSRT/DSCN1842.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/BosChargerSRT/DSCN1843.jpg

Gabe
02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks awesome Jimmy !

Mik3y
02-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Getting my flat black roof this Friday, cant wait!

Shaggy
02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Lets see some pics of your ride mikey...

TALON
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Ken

BOS/SRT
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Getting my flat black roof this Friday, cant wait!

is it friday yet? i can't wait either. btw, call me if anything. i hope they'll let you be there during install, that way you can keep an eye on them and watch how they do it. good luck!

so we should be seeing pix friday night, lol.

BOS/SRT
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Ken

thanks bro! i'm just not going to say it anymore, because you already know.

Mik3y
02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
is it friday yet? i can't wait either. btw, call me if anything. i hope they'll let you be there during install, that way you can keep an eye on them and watch how they do it. good luck!

so we should be seeing pix friday night, lol.

More like friday afternoon, the guy who is doing the install has done some work for a few club members so im confident in his work. I should be able to watch and take some pics of the install.

teezd2010
02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
looks great big jimmy z.

BOS/SRT
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
thanks bratha!

Mik3y
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
You're not going to believe this but he was almost done when he accidentally folded the vinyl sticky side to sticky side. When he pulled them apart it ripped :(
Going back Wednesday to hopefully get it done.

Mik3y
02-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I just noticed that you posted in my original post LOL
The guy doesnt use any soap/water when installing the graphics. He just used a torch to heat up the vinyl. Its alright though now that he got some practice it will get done Wednesday.

DaBlackPearl
02-06-2010, 01:44 AM
That looks really nice! I would like to see it in person though.

BOS/SRT
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
You're not going to believe this but he was almost done when he accidentally folded the vinyl sticky side to sticky side. When he pulled them apart it ripped :(
Going back Wednesday to hopefully get it done.

crap bro, sorry about that and that happened to me too. he didn't soak it while he pulled it apart? the standard vinyl is very unforgiving. i know your bum'd bro, but it'll get done and i'm hoping it will be perfect and well worth the wait. good luck!

BOS/SRT
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I just noticed that you posted in my original post LOL
The guy doesnt use any soap/water when installing the graphics. He just used a torch to heat up the vinyl. Its alright though now that he got some practice it will get done Wednesday.

what do you mean? he didn't use any liquids to apply? don't use soap/water, use foam glass cleaner, it works the best.

Mik3y
02-10-2010, 01:31 AM
what do you mean? he didn't use any liquids to apply? don't use soap/water, use foam glass cleaner, it works the best.

Nope he uses any liquids. All he does is use a torch.
Im going tomorrow to hopefully get it done finally:)

BOS/SRT
02-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Nope he uses any liquids. All he does is use a torch.
Im going tomorrow to hopefully get it done finally:)

That's scary. Never heard someone use a torch, heat gun yes. I was thinking that maybe it's another type of vinyl, some say higher end, but that one doesn't damage or get stuck together, but it applies dry. The only issue with it, is that it doesn't have as much uv protection, so fades fast. I don't think that's what you have, because you mentioned that it got folded. The other stuff I could take the entire pc, crumble into a ball and still use it.
Your making me nervous now. Lol.
Also make sure their careful with the exacto knife, don't want your paint to get damaged. Good luck again!

Mik3y
02-10-2010, 02:35 AM
I need to talk to the guy and make sure its going to be the same vinyl i have on the side. It does look different but never thought about it until today.

Mik3y
02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Its official, looks great but there are some parts that can be seen close that im not to happy about. For the price i paid i can live with it. The vinyl is different it has a clear laminate on top so its harder to work with.

Sorry the garage pic, i work nights so i need to really go to sleep. I will take some good pics over the weekend. Thanks for the help Jimmy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/strykey/DSC_0043.jpg

Mik3y
02-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I think im going to get the roof redone :(
The guy didnt cut the vinyl between the roof/windshield and i can see paint. Im going to order a different vinyl that is easier to work with also.

BOS/SRT
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
mikey,

ugh, sometimes if you want something done right, you got to do with them. i had issues with my install and they've done it before. i ended up coming up with the plan on installing and did it with him. if your not happy with it, then you want to do it again. i know it's going to bother you.
you can try this other type that i was referring to from www.stickercity.com, they have the vinyl that you don't need liquid and you can crumble it and reuse it. now it's not as UV protect-ant as your standard, but it should hold up fine. give them a call and inquire. they also have a how to video and it will surprise you how much easier it is to work with. all you'll need is one, maybe two other people to help.
let me know if you have any questions?
Later!
Jimmy

Mik3y
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah thats the place i plan to buy it from. I need to talk to them and see if they can do the install for free if i buy that vinyl. I will help out and if needed have one of my local club members help out.
I just want to get this over with now though. Thanks for the info.

Mik3y
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Ordered the vinyl from stickercity and going tomorrow to see if i can patch up the exposed up the part temporarily.

BOS/SRT
02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
mikey, sweet! i hope everything works out for you too. i know the frustration your going through, been there to many times myself. keep me posted and good luck!

Mik3y
02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Went back just came back had them to take it off and hopefully vinyl comes in tomorrow so i can install Monday!

chargerchad
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
is this a pricey mod? I wonder how a fairly stock silversteel charger like mine would look with a flat black roof? I don't have a sunroof either. hmm :)

FOST3RS CHARG3R
03-11-2010, 01:41 AM
damn jimmy! that looks awesome bro but of course, ive always loved your car!

RogueStatus239
04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Jimmy, im a little bit screwed on this deal...
this matte black vinyl piece i bought from stickercity.com it appears to be like an inch too short ? and its all wrinkled ? i says on the paper that when you install you can use a heat gun and stretch the material and the wrinkles come out. any thoughts ? did you aslo use any adhesive primer for the install ?

Thanks -Mike

*Edit and when i ordered my quantity was 5 and your car is the nicest silver srt ive ever seen.

BOS/SRT
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Jimmy, im a little bit screwed on this deal...
this matte black vinyl piece i bought from stickercity.com it appears to be like an inch too short ? and its all wrinkled ? i says on the paper that when you install you can use a heat gun and stretch the material and the wrinkles come out. any thoughts ? did you aslo use any adhesive primer for the install ?

Thanks -Mike

*Edit and when i ordered my quantity was 5 and your car is the nicest silver srt ive ever seen.

Thanks bro! As far as the vinyl, which kind did you get? They have several versions. Did you get the same that's on they're roof install video? If it is, than that can stretch and wrinkles will come out. Never heard of having to use adhesive?

RogueStatus239
04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
i got that flat black one that they show in the video. and its not an adhesive its adhesive primer. its like a solvent that makes the adhesive sticks better.

BOS/SRT
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
i got that flat black one that they show in the video. and its not an adhesive its adhesive primer. its like a solvent that makes the adhesive sticks better.

that's weird, because the one in they're video is a direct lay. they told me there's no solution needed to get it to stick. now standard vinyl, like i have you need to wet it to adhere. most use soap/water, but zep or any foam glass cleaner works the best. less bubbles to deal with and gives you more time to apply. the one on they're video is supposed to be super durable. you can roll it up in a ball and separate it and still use it. standard vinyl you can't even get a crease or else it's fucked. also the one in the video is supposed to be very stretchable.

Mik3y
04-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I got mine from sticker city and it was a direct lay. I ordered 6ft though.