Welcome to the LX Forum - Dodge Charger | Dodge Challenger | Dodge Magnum | Chrysler 300 Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   LX Forum - Dodge Charger | Dodge Challenger | Dodge Magnum | Chrysler 300 Forum > LX Forum - General Information > Other Vehicles

Other Vehicles Discuss makes and models other then Chargers, Challengers, Magnums, & 300s here.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #1

DaBlackPearl

Name: Phil

Car Model: Dodge Charger
Year: 2007
Engine: V6
Default Converting From Manual Steering To Power Steering In An Old Truck
I recently purchased a project Truck that you may have seen on another post. It is a 1966 Chevrolet C10 Pickup and it has manual steering with a steering box that is worn out. I figure if I am going to rebuild or replace the box...why not go power steering right? A kit is just over $600 and in some cases $700 so I figure I will get some parts from the salvage yard such as the brackets, pump, and steering box and I can save $300-$400. There is one bracket that I bought that is made by a couple of companies that will allow the mounting of the steering box to this old truck that wasn't made for one so I picked that up. I picked up a 1979 - 1984 steering box w pump that I can use. I think that the hardest part will be cutting the steering shaft to the proper length. I stand corrected...the hardest part so far was breaking loose the bolts on the old box without an air compressor or impact of any kind but I did it. I am going to be buying a compressor for sure! I just need to mock up the custom bracket and box to measure where to cut the shaft. I have room to play with because I also got a new ragjoint adapter that will allow for a bit of error. Pics to come so stay tuned.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #2

BOS/SRT
Administrator

Name: Jimmy

Car Model: Dodge Charger SRT8
Year: 2006
Engine: 6.1L HEMI
Dayum Phil!!!! Your jumping in head first... Sounds like a lot of work, but fun... I'm sure in the end it will all be worth the headaches, sweat and tears. Can't wait to see the pix. Btw, didn't know you were a wrench guy.

2toned Flat Black Vinyl,CarbonbyDesign,Billet Tech Designer,Razor Edge,SpeedLogix,KW v2,Predator 91 tune,22" 3 pc Covet Forged Wheels ,Nitto 420s,BWoody Sway ends,Hotchkis sways,Magnaflow highflow/c-back,DMH electric cutouts,22elite,BND ALL Quantum Blue/ACESIV,Killerglass,GSM intake,Danko v2 spoiler/Chin spoiler,Grip Rockers,Neffywrap
BOS/SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

DaBlackPearl

Thanks Jimmy....I'm not really a wrench guy but it is in my blood...my Dad was a master mechanic when I was a little boy. I can do basic stuff and I cnsider myself mechanically inclined. ; )

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #4

BOS/SRT
Administrator

That's cool, well I'm sure your dad will teach you the tricks of the trade. Good luck!

2toned Flat Black Vinyl,CarbonbyDesign,Billet Tech Designer,Razor Edge,SpeedLogix,KW v2,Predator 91 tune,22" 3 pc Covet Forged Wheels ,Nitto 420s,BWoody Sway ends,Hotchkis sways,Magnaflow highflow/c-back,DMH electric cutouts,22elite,BND ALL Quantum Blue/ACESIV,Killerglass,GSM intake,Danko v2 spoiler/Chin spoiler,Grip Rockers,Neffywrap
Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

DaBlackPearl

I made some good progress today so here are a few pics.
This first pic is of the old crusty manual power steering box

This next pic is of the new mounting bracket with another one the other side of the chassis rail for support and to allow mounting of the larger power steering box

Now I needed to cut the old rag joint off and shorten the steering shaft.

Rag joint gone.

New Rag joint/ steering shaft adapter

New Rag joint that connects the shaft to the box.

This last pic is of the new/used power steering box and rag joint mounted. After I took this pic I connected the pitman arm seen at the bottom of the box.

Trying to hold that power steering box up and screw the bolts in from the other side of the chassis was quite challenging by myself and I might be useless tomorrow...lol

I still need to weld or bolt the shaft to the adapter and mount the pump along with installing the lines. Thanks for looking, I worked really hard.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6

BOS/SRT
Administrator

Nice job! I know your arms are going to be so fucking soar tomorrow, even the next few days... I could see it now, arms trembling and shit. Ugh!

Btw, please be sure to be safe while working under the truck. Secure jack stands and not just a jack.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

DaBlackPearl

Originally Posted by BOS/SRT View Post
Nice job! I know your arms are going to be so fucking soar tomorrow, even the next few days... I could see it now, arms trembling and shit. Ugh!

Btw, please be sure to be safe while working under the truck. Secure jack stands and not just a jack.
Thanks bro! You ain't lying Jimmy, I can hardly type right now. I laid in bed all day only getting up to piss and eat...lol For sure on the be safe thing aspecially when it is too hot and your 73 year old father is in the air conditioned house so you are working alone. : ) I had two 6 ton jack stands and put the jack under her for a little extra security. Even with all of that I still worry when I get under there. Thanks for looking out Jimmy.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

BOS/SRT
Administrator

That's what fam is there for.... I would say some cold brews, but....may not be a good idea. Just put some in the freezer at least 15 mins before your done for a nice reward.

Another thing, forehead is not a good prop device..lol

Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #9

DaBlackPearl

Update...Since this is not something that came standard on my truck and I am not a mechanic...it took a bit to do the research and get the right parts. Here is a sneak peak, I need to change the belt configuration to have the crank drive the ps pump and the alt. Looks way better now. I still need to buy a new upper/lower radiator hose, find or make a spacer for the ps pump on the exhaust, find ps hoses, weld the steering shaft, change out the fuel filter and reroute it,and clean up some of the engine...what do you folks think?
Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2

Old 10-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #10

BOS/SRT
Administrator

Phil, now you made a clean spot. Lol. You got a lot work left. Looking great!