View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #2

BOS/SRT
Administrator

Name: Jimmy

Car Model: Dodge Charger SRT8
Year: 2006
Engine: 6.1L HEMI
Fahad, I can help you on this, you know i went through over eight different tints on my tails last year and need to lighten mine this year as well and make a new set of tails/spoiler combo.
Very important, don't use any solvents/liquids to remove it. It will damage your tint and paint. You want to use wet sand paper and buff and polish them.

You'll need: Local Auto Store
-wet sand paper, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 4000 grit. most auto store wont have 4000 grit, so make due with 2000 (+). Buy extras, you will need them.
-3m has a mini buff kit for your standard hand drill, works great for these small jobs. it comes with a small compound pad and buff pad.
-3m rubbing compound and buff compound (any company you can find)
-hand drill with speed settings (i use my dewalt)
-green painters tape or any painters tape that has strong adhesion.

Steps:
-take your tails off and tape the paint edge.
-important that when you wet sand that you keep the sand paper wet, or else it will burn and remove more. also, keep the same motion and number of times that you sand an area, keep it consistent for both tails (write it down).
-important that you keep the sand paper clean, don't sand when you have build up on the sand paper, it will create deeper scratches. keep the water clean too.
-start with 1000 grit and work your way up. if 1000 isn't enough, move down to 800 grit, but be careful not to remove to much. if you see the water turning red, you've gone to deep and this is bad. lol now it's going to be difficult to see your progress once you start, because it looks greyish, just wet them up and you'll see how the tint will look when done (makes it transparent to see better).
-note, be careful with the tape edge, don't go crazy trying to even it out, do your best to sand the tape edge area. once you start buffing, it will blend it in better, you'll see what i mean, especially your car is black, so it will blend better.
-after your done wet sanding, clean off tails with water, don't need soap. put the tails back on your ride. re-tape the paint edge of the tails, now it's wet.
-also tape the underside of the tails where the gap is to the bumper, also the trunk side area too. you can layer the tape around the tails to give you more protection from damaging the car paint. go wide with the tape, just in case you slip, trust me just do it.
-now you've got all that set, set your drill to medium/high setting, place the compound pad on the drill, put the compound on the pad and smear it on with your fingers and some on the tails (this will cause less splattering). go easy at first, until you get the hang of it and again go in the same motion and times over an area. wipe off rubbing compound when done with a rag and water again.
-do the same step as rubbing compound with the polishing compound. once your done you'll see the shine come back and any mis perfections in the tint lightening. wipe off again with a rag and water. you may see that you have to do some areas again, but that depends on how well you keep it consistent. after this you can use spray wax etc. to get more shine out of it.

i hope it helps. it may look like a lot, but it really isn't. i just want to make sure i go over everything and you have my number if you need immediate assistance.
good luck!
Jimmy

2toned Flat Black Vinyl,CarbonbyDesign,Billet Tech Designer,Razor Edge,SpeedLogix,KW v2,Predator 91 tune,22" 3 pc Covet Forged Wheels ,Nitto 420s,BWoody Sway ends,Hotchkis sways,Magnaflow highflow/c-back,DMH electric cutouts,22elite,BND ALL Quantum Blue/ACESIV,Killerglass,GSM intake,Danko v2 spoiler/Chin spoiler,Grip Rockers,Neffywrap
BOS/SRT is offline   Reply With Quote