View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #1

DaBlackPearl

Name: Phil

Car Model: Dodge Charger
Year: 2007
Engine: V6
Default Converting From Manual Steering To Power Steering In An Old Truck
I recently purchased a project Truck that you may have seen on another post. It is a 1966 Chevrolet C10 Pickup and it has manual steering with a steering box that is worn out. I figure if I am going to rebuild or replace the box...why not go power steering right? A kit is just over $600 and in some cases $700 so I figure I will get some parts from the salvage yard such as the brackets, pump, and steering box and I can save $300-$400. There is one bracket that I bought that is made by a couple of companies that will allow the mounting of the steering box to this old truck that wasn't made for one so I picked that up. I picked up a 1979 - 1984 steering box w pump that I can use. I think that the hardest part will be cutting the steering shaft to the proper length. I stand corrected...the hardest part so far was breaking loose the bolts on the old box without an air compressor or impact of any kind but I did it. I am going to be buying a compressor for sure! I just need to mock up the custom bracket and box to measure where to cut the shaft. I have room to play with because I also got a new ragjoint adapter that will allow for a bit of error. Pics to come so stay tuned.