View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #7

Gabe

Name: Gabe

Car Model: Mustang
Year: 2013
Engine: 5.0L
Originally Posted by Mik3y View Post
Quick question, your R/T is true AWD, right? The reason i ask is i recently found out the GCSRT8 isnt a true AWD.
The 05-08 systems use a fixed 38/62 front/rear torque proportioning, but when I'm on ice or snow if I shut off the ESP by pushing the dash button, I can then punch it and only the rear wheels spin.

Once I re-engage the ESP the front wheels kick in shortly after the rears spin ... so it's very much an ESP-dependant AWD system ...

The new 09+ system is RWD until a rear wheel slips and then it sends power to the front .... the front axle is automatically engaged if Autostick is being used, or if outside temp is below 38-40 degrees, wipers on ,,, something like that ... various parameters need to be met for it to automatically be engaged.

But regardless of which system the car has, it still uses open diffs frton/rear and in the t-case ... so it's still traction-control dependant ...

The AWD system in the Jeep is actually very similar in operation but uses a stronger t-case and axles ...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote