LX Forum - Dodge Charger | Dodge Challenger | Dodge Magnum | Chrysler 300 Forum

LX Forum - Dodge Charger | Dodge Challenger | Dodge Magnum | Chrysler 300 Forum (http://www.lxowners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.lxowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My Pre-Show Routine (http://www.lxowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101)

Chargerdad 03-15-2010 09:42 PM

My Pre-Show Routine

WOW... I'm the first one to drop a thread here?

OK, so I haven't actually done this in the last 12 months, but I plan to make at least one show this coming year, so here's how I get MY ride ready.

1. As soon as it gets in the 50s here in Boston, I do my initial wash/wax. If it's the first wash of the year, I wash with original scent Dawn. This is a thorough cleaning that will also strip some of the old wax off. I won't wash with Dawn again until the first time next year. I get every part of the car, door jambs, trunk, engine bay. Everytime after this I use a good car wash detergent that won't strip the wax.

2. Clay bar everything with an appropriate lubricating liquid. That could be the store bought stuff or just clear water with a touch of liquid car wash detergent. I don't clay bar every time. Maybe 2-3 times per season.

3. Wash again, this time with a good car wash detergent, to get the clay bar residue off the car.

4. Dry the car, I use a synthetic chamois. As long as you've clay barred the car well and you're gentle you won't have to worry about micro-scratches. Still some people use blowers or gel blades to do this.

5. If I see a lot of swirl marks I'll use a polish, I'm a Zaino guy so I use the Z-PC polish

6. Then I start waxing the car with Z-5 Pro including the ZFX accelerant. This helps the wax cure faster so that I can get 2-3 coats of wax on in the same day. After this, I may use the Z-5 wax 2-3 times in the season, in between I use the Z-6 Detail spray

6. While each coat dries I move to the inside of the car, vacuuming, cleaning the leather, and cleaning the windows with Invisible Glass. (Safe for tint)

7. After 2-3 coats of Z-5, I go over the whole car with Z-6 detail spray. The car looks like a mirror at this point.

8. For the chrome exhaust and some engine components I use Nevr-Dull, a wadding impregnated with mineral spirits and other "magic stuff" that leaves the chrome super shiny.

9. Speaking of the engine bay, I get that too, using Nevr-Dull, any blackening product for hoses & plastic pieces. My buddy BOS/SRT gave me some engine cleaning solution that I'm trying out now, so I'll let y'all know how that works out.

10. On to the wheels. I have custom-finished Cragar rims done in a cool black chrome and I make sure they turn heads. I take each wheel off the car (and carefully wash the wheel well, careful not to splash the car) and wash the wheels in the car wash solution. Dry them with a microfiber towel, then wax them inside & out with a good wheel wax. Before putting them back on the car I hit them with some tire shine. I've been using Meguire's Hot Shine and I love it.

All of this can be done in one day, a very long day but still I can get it done for a late night show. If I don't have that time, I"ll do the car the day before a show, and do the inside, engine, and wheels on the day of the show. Then when I get to the show I'll give it a quick Z-6 detail to make it look great.

The results...

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...llerAngled.jpg

So that's me. What do you guys do?

BOS/SRT 03-16-2010 09:54 AM

Jerry, you must have had your hands all over her, she looks all wet, lol. Sweet job on the detailing and how to. Thanks bro!

Btw, never thought of using dawn on paint to strip off wax. i'll have to give it a try. I'm also interested on your thoughts of bnd's block cleaner.

Chargerdad 03-17-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOS/SRT (Post 892)
Jerry, you must have had your hands all over her, she looks all wet, lol.

Its all in the technique bro. You should see how wet she gets when I wad her exhaust. lol

BOS/SRT 03-17-2010 05:19 PM

Now your worrying me, lol. Don't know if I'd mention cleaning tail pipes, rofl.

szamojski 03-22-2010 07:03 PM

Nice routine. Going to have to try your procedure this summer. Thanks for th write up.

Shaggy 03-29-2010 01:54 AM

How many times do you put her in a show?

Chargerdad 03-31-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 998)
How many times do you put her in a show?

Much more often when I first bought her. Maybe 6 that first year? I didn't do anything last year, waaaay busy. But I want to get to 2-3 this year. BOS/SRT knows some of the work I want to do in the engine bay before I'll take her out :)

Vito99 01-07-2011 04:18 PM

Cool write up man .....some good techniques and info

have you ever used the blackbox?? by turtle wax...the thing works wonders after a nice claybar

Panther 01-09-2011 05:44 PM

not familier with the clay bar. Please explain this